top of page

These posts are open for comments and reflections that support this community. Please keep in mind that this is a public blog, we ask that you respect the stories shared and we reserve the right to remove any comments that are found to be off-subject or disrespectful towards the authors or stories. 




By: Milagros Paredes Translated by: Fanny Albano De Paoli



The birth of a child is the most wonderful experience of creation   As a woman and a mother it was reaching the maximum happiness, goals and ideals.

I understood, one more time, that when God created the universe, everything was perfect.

Being pregnant of my son Roberto, who I called Robi, was beautiful.  Each day during my 9 months of pregnancy I discovered something new, and I felt it was the birth of a huge and infinite love.

Since Robi was born, I used to sing to him “You’re my sunshine”, knowing he would always be a wonderful light that would shine in my heart, in my life and in the life of all those lucky enough to know him.

Four years later, I was blessed to be a mother again, from another son, Lorenzo, and, then, Santiago, who came into our lives as a big surprise.

Time was passing by, my sons were growing up and I was coming to the realization that being a mother, wife and professional was not easy.  I tried to make the best that I could day after day and also in each of my responsibilities I was clear that  most importantly was to give my three sons lots of love, quality time and patience.

I used to think in my life and the life of my sons and I felt good and in peace.  Until all of a sudden, January 23rd, 2009 everything changed.

It was a Friday during Lima’s summertime.  Taking advantage that the boys were on vacation, we went to the beach to spend the weekend. That Friday afternoon, while enjoying a ceviche and soaking in the ocean surrounded by family and friends, we were making plans for our vacation coming up in July for Independence Day.  It was one of the happiest days of my life, filled with little things, but very important ones, and especially, because I was able to enjoy my whole family.

That night, while I was at Lorenzo’s soccer practice at another beach, 15 minutes away, I got a phone call where they were telling me that Robi wasn’t feeling good; it was my father insisting that he was worried and that Robi was having difficulty breathing.  I ran out looking for an ambulance so we could meet them.

When I got there, Robi was unconscious.  Quickly, we went in the ambulance to the nearest hospital where they were able to stabilize him so he could be transfered to a hospital in Lima where the doctors were waiting for us.  After many hours in intensive care, On Saturday at dawn, the doctors came out and explain to us that Robi’s scene was very discouraging. 

My son was in a deep coma. He had had a respiratory arrest that had unleashed a cardiac arrest.

Shock! I was feeling so confused that I didn’t understand anything.  How can an extremely happy day ended up like this? 

How can a healthy and athletic boy had a respiratory and a cardiac arrest?

Why was this horrible and painful situation was happening to me?

Why my son? 

How many questions, and no answers.

I felt that I had just entered into a nightmare and that I couldn’t wake up.

My son was in a coma for 8 days, during which his candle started to turn off.  He went to heaven at dawn on February 1st.

I felt that the world was crumbling and it was crushing over me.

I clenched to God, and I asked Him to give me strength to stand the worst that any human being can go through, I asked Him to hold me, I told Him that I fully trusted in His will, I asked Him not to abandon me and to never let go of His hand.

My life and the life of my family had changed abruptly, and in the worstway.

I had lost a son.  At 44 years old I had only heard of two families that had lost a child, and I had thought it would never happen to me.  A part of my life had died with the departure of my son.

I had to confront a new life, very different, in which all of it was new.  How could I survive to the idea of only having two sons with me?  The fear invaded my thoughts, and they added to the guilt and the anger that was inside of me.  I was in mourning.

Mourning? Even that word was new to me.  I learned that there was mourning and that I had to deal with it and live it.  A process where I had to walk and fall one thousand times.  My body had entered into a stranger that I hated and I felt it was killing me: PAIN

This stranger had entered my life and didn’t leave me alone, sometimes it didn’t even let me breath. To walk inside this mourning was like being in a dark tunnel with the hope that someday my sight was going to reach clarity and light.

I remember one afternoon, two months after Robi’s passing, when I was helping Lorenzo with his school homework and out of a sudden I collapsed;  I couldn’t take it anymore, I held my head and said to myself “I want to be on the other side of the tunnel, I want this first year to pass.”

It was very hard to travel through that first year, it was the worst and longest year of my life.   

Every month started bad for me; I couldn’t stop counting the months that Robi wasn’t with me: one month, two months, three months…

Celebrating the first Mother’s day without my son was like stabbing a knife in my soul and in my heart, the same as Father’s day, Christmas, New Year’s.  We had plans to go to New York, bike around Central Park, visit museums, watch plays and have fun like little children. Unfortunately, that trip became an illusion.

Then my sister Claudia told me she had to travel to New York for business and if I wanted to go with her. I didn’t doubt it for a second.  I felt Robi had sent me this trip as a sign, on the month of his birthday.  We traveled at the end of September 2009, as we had planned with him, while Claudia worked, I strolled around the city and talked to Robi with my mind and my heart. I said to him: “Robi, you travel with me, in this trip we are together and you are getting to know New York City”. During the weekend we took a tour to Boston and the bus driver’s name was Robert, a Godincidence.  The signs kept confirming that my son was with me, at my side and I had to have faith.

I started to feel something new. Robi had left his physical body, there was a special magic, it was as if he was still with us.  Eight months had passed by since his passing and I started to feel that in this dark road of mourning there was a light of hope shining ahead.

Five months after Robi’s passing my sons Lorenzo and Santiago started to get psychological help to process the loss and emptiness of their brother.  They, like me, felt their own pain, and I had to stay next to them, embrace them, and give them hope that we had to live through this sadness, but that it would eventually was going to get better.

Whenever I would arrive from work I tried to smile, I tried to always make the effort for them.  I was sure that if my sons would see me doing good, they would be good.  I tried, in my free time, to talk with them a lot, to go with them to their soccer and swimming practice, we went to the movies and we tried to share as much as we could.

I learned that not only I was mourning, but as brothers they had to deal with mourning for their brother that wasn’t there anymore.  We each had different kinds of grief, each one was completely personal and each one had to deal with it on its own time.

While Lorenzo didn’t talk or expressed his feelings, Santiago would talk about every single memory he had with his brother.  I would often observe both of them to try to understand how they were dealing with their pain.

Having to worry about Lorenzo and Santiago and having to work outside from our home was the best thing that could have happened to me.  It helped me so much to have contact with the outside world.  To have my mind occupied was the best during those tough moments, and it allowed us to free our minds eveyday from the same terrifying thought.

I only thought about today, trying not to run and not to think of how I was going to feel tomorrow.

Working, writing, yoga, meditating, painting, walking or starting some sport is the best cure. Going out of the house to change the surroundings.  I learned I had to make the effort to get up of bed.  Without that effort I wouldn’t be today where I am and how I am.  I was conscious that life was going to continue and even though my son had departed, there was nothing I could change.  To remember the traumatic events of his death was like bring back the nightmare all over again and even though, in reality, Robi had only left us once, every time I brought back the memory it was like he was dying all over again. 

Within this piercing pain, I surprised myself as the clarity I was able to have sometimes, only nine months after his departure.

I remember one day I said to myself “I don’t want to keep crying” and that is when I realized that my pain was always gonna stay within me, but suffering is a choice.  That day I tried not to keep suffering and not to focus on all the great memories of my son.

How was he when he was alive? What examples did he leave for me? What did he teach me?  What values identified him?  What was I going to do with everything that was good about my son?

Was I gonna leave Robi’s legacy kept inside a chest with a key or was I gonna do something with everything that he had left us?

I used to think of Robi and the memories that would fill my mind did not hurt as much. I even started feeling some happiness when I remembered him and a my face will have a drawn on smile. My mourning kept advancing, leaving the stage of sadness to enter into acceptance of his departure.  I kept on walking in the tunnel, but everytime I got closer to the other side, where I started to see the light that was guiding me ahead.  

When Robi turned one year of eternal life, we celebrated with a mass in Santa Maria School surrounded by family, friends, and school friends.  

I’m not gonna lie, celebrating his first year meant removing some of the scars that were healing.  We decided to have different kind of music during the mass.  Songs in English and Spanish with themes of love and faith.  Songs that Robi liked, like “Let It Be” from the Beatles, which he used to always sing.  Even now, every time I listen to this song on the radio, I think is a sign that Robi is always with me.

After the first year, my pain was transforming in love and all of a sudden I woke up to the WHAT FOR did he go.  Robi wasn’t here physically, he wasn’t coming back, but in exchange he hadleft me with a wonderful mission in my hands.


There was something else after his departure, little by little I could see it clearly.

My new life was changing in a good way.  I was feeling as if I had taken the veil from my eyes to be able to see the world the way it is.  I wasn’t the same Milagros I used to be.  Now, I was a new Milagros ready to rebuild my heart on top of the base of an infinite love in honor of my son.

One of Robi’s qualities was that he was always very supportive and compassionate.  These were the first feelings that I felt were starting to grow on me, while I was going through the acceptance stage of my mourning.

I could see myself more motivated to do things that I wanted to do and also to start taking back other things that at the beginning I refused to do.  I started going out of my interior world and looked outside of myself. I started going to my meditation meetings.  The mothers of Robi’s friends from school would call me and with this group we started meeting every month.  Then I had a chance to start something new and I registered in different psychology and personal growth workshops that have been very helpful to me and which I continue to attend until today, in this new road.

I started to feel that I was on the other side of the river, that I had traveled and gone around the tunnel and now I could see the light.  The light was guiding me and it was telling me there is hope and a better tomorrow.  The days were getting clearer and more encouraging.

Little by little, I was feeling better and I knew that eventually life was going to put the right person in my life, someone that just like me, had lost a child.

And it happened, two years after Robi had died, Ursula came into my life, I met her because our sisters were friends.  Another godincidence.  We met only 3 months after her son Gabriel had died, and the first thing I did when she came to my house was to give her a warm hug.  An embrace that comes from the heart, sometimes they say more than a thousand words.. With that embrace, I wanted to tell her that I could read in her face what she was feeling, how she was feeling, without saying one word. After an instant, we started talking and sharing our loss.  This was the beginning of a strong relationship and a mission that we both compromised, for our sons Gabriel and Robi.

While her mourning continued, Ursula looked for a support group of parents that had lost their children, and she couldn’t find any in Peru.  A few months later, she registered an association by the name of “Thaniyay”, word that means to cure in quechua (a Native South American language), we decided to get together to develop a project of love in honor of our children and also of ourselves.

On May 15th, 2012 we started the meetings/workshops of mourning as “Thaniyay-assistance of mutual help for mourning parents”, in which all the parents would help each other to heal our pain and loss.  Thaniyay has turned into a work of love to life.  A great deed that has taught us and has given us so much.

We are celebrating our seventh anniversary.  We have learned to look at death as a friend and not as a stranger, and to feel the love for our children as the best companion in this new life.  It’s been almost seven years in which we have received more than 600 parents, in which together we have cried, shared and laughed, and in which together we have learned to find a new sense for our children’s departure; a reason for our own lives and especially to honor the life of our children.

We have known pain as our best teacher and we have come out of the deepness to confirm:  YES WE CAN keep on living after the parting of a child.

I feel thankful to all the parents that have attended to our group meetings and to those new ones that are going today.  They have allowed us to give them hope and comfort to their homes.

Throughout this time, I have been able to appreciate how the appearance of each parent changes, and transforms with time; in its process letting the healing light in reflecting the chance of a smile.

I am certain that there is much more I could say, and I apologize to the readers if they don’t find the information that they expected to find in my testimony, but I have tried to share how I lived the loss of my son and my grief. I hope that whoever reads these lines finds through my story the tools necessary to deal during those difficult life moments.. Remember that all and each one of us have the oportunity to choose how to live our life; our attitude is the key of everything that happens in our existance.. Let’s try to only choose what is good for us.

What has to happen in our life and during our lives will happen, no matter what we do to avoid it from the bottom of our fear and pain.

Today, I can say that I am blessed to have a son in heaven and that Robi chose me to be his mother.

I am thankful for the time that we shared together and for the love he gave me during his 14 years and 5 months. I thank him because even though death is a mistery, I have learned to see and feel my son in another special way, through the signs he sends when I’m thinking of him.  Signs that manifest through a song, a robin, a dream, a picture that shows up suddenly, the mention of his name when I’m out, when we see a white feather.

It has been 9 years and 10 months since he left, and when I look back to the travelled road and all my fallen and lifted footprints, I ask myself: how did I achieve this?

I am on the other side of the shore, on the other side of the tunnel and I can say that I achieved it thanks to God and to Robi.  I gave myself and completely trusted them.  I asked them to stay next to me always, even though I doubted my own faith.  They walked along with me and accompanied me in my new life.

Thank you Robi, you are still alive in my soul and in my heart, you are my great teacher; as you used to say: “I am master Yoda of Star Wars”. Now I understand the reason why you used to say it, for your great wisdom.


Your light will shine forever…My sunshine boy.




El nacimiento de un hijo es la experiencia más maravillosa de la creación. Como mujer y madre fue alcanzar el máximo de la felicidad, metas e ideales.

Comprendí una vez más que cuando Dios creó el universo lo hizo todo perfecto.

El salir embarazada de mi hijo mayor Roberto, a quien llamaba Robi, fue muy lindo. Cada día durante los nueves meses de embarazo iba descubriendo algo nuevo, y sentía que era el nacimiento a un amor grande e infinito.

Desde que Robi nació, le cantaba "You're my sunshine", conla certeza de que siempre sería una luz maravillosa que brillaría en mi corazón, en mi vida y en la vida de todos los que tuvieran la suerte de conocerlo.

Cuatro años después, tuve la bendición de ser madre nuevamente, de otro hijo hombre, Lorenzo, y, luego, de Santiago, quien llegó a nuestras vidas como una gran sorpresa.

El tiempo iba pasando, mis hijos crecían y veía que el ser madre, esposa y profesional no era fácil. Trataba de hacer lo mejor que podía día a día y también en cada una de mis responsabilidades teniendo en cuenta que lo más importante era darles a mis tres hijos mucho amor, calidad de tiempo y paciencia.

Pensaba en mi vida y la de mis hijos y me sentía bien y en paz. Hasta que de pronto todo cambió el 23 de enero del año 2009.

Era un viernes de verano en Lima. Aprovechando que los chicos estaban de vacaciones nos fuimos a la playa a pasar el fin de semana. Ese viernes por la tarde, mientras disfrutábamos de un ceviche y un baño de mar, rodeados de familiares y amigos, hacíamos planes para nuestras próximas vacaciones en julio, durante las Fiestas Patrias. Fue uno de los días más felices de mi vida, lleno de pequeñas cosas, pero muy importantes, y, sobre todo, porque podía disfrutar de la compañía de toda mi familia.

Esa noche, mientras me encontraba en una práctica de fútbol de Lorenzo, en otra playa a 15 minutos de distancia, recibo una llamada, en la que me decían que Robi no se sentía bien; era mi padre insistiendo que estaba preocupado y que Robi tenía dificultad para respirar. Salí corriendo en busca de una ambulancia dirigiéndome a donde ellos se encontraban.

Al llegar, Robi estaba inconsciente. Rápidamente, nos dirigimos en la ambulancia al hospital más cercano donde lograron estabilizarlo para ser trasladado a un hospital en Lima, en el que los doctores nos esperaban. Luego de varias horas en cuidados intensivos, en la madrugada del sábado, los doctores salieron y nos explicaron que el cuadro de Robi era muy desalentador.

Mi hijo había entrado en un coma profundo. Había tenido un paro respiratorio que había desencadenado en un paro cardiaco.

¡Shock! Me sentía tan confundida que no entendía nada. ¿Cómo un día tan feliz podía terminar así?

¿Cómo podían haberle venido un paro respiratorio y paro cardiaco a un chico sano y deportista?

¿Por qué esta situación tan horrible y dolorosa me estaba pasando a mí?

¿Por qué a mi hijo?

Cuantas preguntas, y ninguna respuesta.

Sentía que había entrado en una pesadilla y que no podía despertar.

Mi hijo estuvo en coma ocho días, durante los cuales fue apagándose como una velita. La madrugada del primero de febrero partió al cielo.

Sentí que el mundo se derrumbaba y que se me venía encima.

Me aferré a Dios, le pedí que me diera fuerzas para soportar lo peor que le puede pasar a un ser humano, le pedí que me sostuviera, le dije que confiaba plenamente en su voluntad, le pedí que no me abandone y que nunca me soltara de su mano.

Mi vida y la de mi familia había cambiado bruscamente, y de la peor manera.

Había perdido a un hijo. A mis 44 años solo había escuchado de dos familias que habían perdido a sus hijos, y había pensado que a mí eso nunca me iba a suceder. Una parte de mí vida había muerto con la partida de mi hijo.

Me tocaba enfrentar una nueva vida, muy diferente, en la que todo era nuevo. ¿Cómo podía sobrevivir a la idea de tener solamente dos hijos solamente conmigo? Los miedos invadían mis pensamientos, y se sumaban a la culpa y rabia que había dentro de mí. Estaba en duelo.

¿Duelo? Hasta esa palabra era nueva para mí. Aprendí que había un duelo y que había que enfrentarlo y vivirlo. Un proceso en el que tenía que caminar y caerme mil veces. En mi cuerpo había entrado un ser extraño al que odiaba y que sentía que me mataba: DOLOR.

Este intruso había entrado en mi vida y no me dejaba en paz, inclusive a veces ni me dejaba respirar. Transitar en el duelo era como estar en un túnel oscuro con la esperanza de que en algún momento mi vista iba a alcanzar a ver algo de claridad y luz.

Recuerdo una tarde, a los dos meses de la partida de Robi, en la que estaba ayudando a Lorenzo con las tareas del colegio y de pronto colapsé; ya no podía más, me agarré la cabeza y me dije a mí misma "quiero estar al otro lado del túnel, que ya pase este primer año".

Fue muy duro recorrer el primer año, fue el peor y el más largo de mi vida.

Todos los meses empezaban mal para mí; no podía dejar de contar los meses que Robi ya no se encontraba conmigo: un mes, dos meses, tres meses… 

Celebrar el primer día de la madre sin mi hijo fue como tener un puñal clavado en el alma y en el corazón, al igual que el día del padre, y las fiestas de Navidad y Año Nuevo. Llegó la fecha de su cumpleaños, 3 de setiembre, Robi iba a cumplir 15 años. Teníamos planes de ir a Nueva York, pasear en bicicleta por Central Park, visitar museos, ver obras de teatro y divertirnos como niños. Lamentablemente ese viaje quedó en una ilusión.

De pronto mi hermana Claudia me dijo que tenía que viajar a Nueva York por trabajo y que si quería acompañarla. No lo dudé un segundo. Sentía que Robi me había puesto este viaje como una señal, justo en el mes de su cumpleaños. Viajamos a fines de setiembre del año 2009, tal como lo planeamos con él, y mientras Claudia trabajaba, yo paseaba y le conversaba a Robi con mi mente y corazón. Le decía "Robi, tú viajas conmigo, en este viaje estamos juntos y estas conociendo Nueva York". El fin de semana tomamos un tour a Boston y el chofer del bus se llamaba Robert: una dioscidencia. Las señales seguían confirmándome que mi hijo estaba conmigo, a mi lado y que tenía que tener fe.

Empezaba a sentir algo nuevo. Si bien Robi había dejado su cuerpo físico, había una magia especial, era como si él siguiera aquí con nosotros. Habían pasado 8 meses desde su partida y empezaba a sentir que en este camino oscuro del duelo había una luz de esperanza brillando.

A los cinco meses de la partida de Robi mis hijos Lorenzo y Santiago empezaron con ayuda psicológica para procesar la pérdida y ausencia del hermano. Ellos, al igual que yo, sentían cada uno su propio dolor, y yo tenía que acompañarlos, abrazarlos y darles la esperanza de que este dolor había que vivirlo pero que en algún momento se iba a aliviar.

Llegaba de trabajar y trataba de estar sonriente, haciendo el esfuerzo siempre por ellos. Estaba segura de que si mis hijos me veían bien, ellos iban a estar bien. Trataba, en mi tiempo libre, de conversar mucho con ellos, los acompañaba a sus prácticas de fútbol y natación, íbamos al cine y tratábamos de compartir lo más que podíamos.

Aprendí que no solo yo tenía que pasar por un duelo, sino que también ellos como hermanos tenían que enfrentar el duelo por el hermano que ya no estaba. Cada uno llevaba duelos diferentes, cada duelo era totalmente personal y cada uno tenía su tiempo.

Mientras que Lorenzo no hablaba ni expresaba lo que sentía, Santiago hablaba de todos los recuerdos que tenía con el hermano. Yo observaba mucho a mis dos hijos para tratar de ver como ellos iban caminando en su duelo.

El tener que preocuparme por Lorenzo y Santiago y atender un trabajo fuera de mi casa fue lo mejor que me pudo pasar. Me ayudó muchísimo tener contacto con el mundo de afuera. Tener la mente ocupada fue lo mejor en esos momentos duros, y nos permitió librarnos de estar todo el día con el mismo pensamiento aterrador.

Solo pensaba en el hoy, tratando de no correr y de no pensar cómo iba a estar mañana.

Trabajar, escribir, hacer yoga, meditar, pintar, caminar o retomar algún deporte es lo mejor para sanar. Salir de casa me ayudaba a cambiar de ambiente. Aprendí que había que hacer el esfuerzo inclusive para levantarme de mi cama. Sin ese esfuerzo hoy no hubiera logrado estar donde estoy y como estoy. Estaba consciente de que la vida continuaba y que así mi hijo hubiera partido, yo ya no podía cambiar nada. Recordar la parte traumática de su partida era como traer la pesadilla de nuevo y si bien, en la realidad, Robi solo había partido una vez, cada vez que traía el recuerdo a mi mente, era como si partiera nuevamente.

En medio de este dolor desgarrador me sorprendía a veces de la lucidez que podía tener cuando apenas habían pasado nueve meses desde su partida.

Un día recuerdo que me dije "ya no quiero llorar más" y es ahí cuando me di cuenta de que mi dolor siempre iba a estar dentro de mí, pero que el sufrimiento era una elección. Ese día decidí tratar de no sufrir más y de abocarme a recordar todo lo bueno de mi hijo.

¿Cómo fue él en vida? ¿Qué ejemplos me dejó? ¿Qué me enseñó? ¿Qué valores lo identificaban? ¿Qué iba a hacer con todo lo bueno de mi hijo?

¿Iba a dejar el legado de Robi guardado en un baúl con llave o iba a hacer algo con lo que él nos había dejado?

Pensaba en Robi y los recuerdos que venían a mi mente ya no dolían tanto. Empezaba incluso a sentir algo de alegría cuando lo recordaba y una sonrisa se dibujada en mi cara. Seguía avanzando en mi duelo, dejando la etapa de tristeza para entrar en la aceptación de su partida. Seguía transitando por el túnel, pero cada vez sentía que me acercaba más al otro lado, allí donde empezaba a ver una luz que me iba guiando hacia adelante.

Cuando Robi cumplió un un año de vida eterna, lo celebramos con una misa en el colegio Santa María acompañados de la familia, amigos, y sus compañeros del colegio.

No voy a mentir, celebrar el primer año fue remover las heridas que iban cicatrizando. Decidimos poner música diferente en la misa. Canciones en inglés y en castellano que tenían que ver con temas de amor y fe. Canciones que le gustaban a Robi, como "Let It Be" de los Beatles, que él siempre cantaba. Aun ahora, cada vez que escucho esta canción en la radio, pienso que es una señal de que Robi sigue siempre conmigo.

Después del primer año, mi dolor se iba transformando en amor y de pronto desperté al PARA QUE de su partida. Robi ya no estaba físicamente, no iba a regresar, pero a cambio había dejado una misión maravillosa en mis manos.


Había algo más después de su partida, poco a poco lo veía con más claridad.

Mi nueva vida iba cambiando para bien. Sentía que me había quitado un velo de los ojos para ver el mundo tal cual es. Ya no era la misma Milagros de antes. Ahora era una nueva Milagros con un corazón en proceso de reconstrucción sobre la base de un amor infinito en honor a mi hijo.

Una de las cualidades de Robi era haber sido una persona solidaria y compasiva. Estos fueron los primeros sentimientos que sentía que empezaban a nacer en mí, mientras transitaba por la etapa de aceptación en mi duelo.

Me veía a mí misma más animada por cosas que me provocaban hacer y también por haber retomado otras que al principio me negaba a hacer. Empecé a salir de mi mundo interior y a mirar hacia afuera de mí. Volví a mis reuniones de meditación. Las mamás de los amigos de Robi del colegio me buscaban y formamos un grupo donde nos reuníamos todos los meses. De pronto se me presentó la oportunidad de empezar algo nuevo y me matriculé en varios talleres de psicología y crecimiento personal, que han sido muy buenos para mí y a los que continúo asistiendo hoy, en este nuevo camino.

Empecé a sentir que estaba en la otra orilla del río, que había transitado y atravesado mi túnel y que ahora veía la luz. Una luz que me iba guiando y que me decía que había esperanza y un mañana mejor. Los días se me iban presentando más claros y alentadores.

Poco a poco me iba recuperando y sabía que en algún momento la vida iba a poner en mi camino a una persona, que al igual que yo, hubiera perdido a un hijo.

Y así fue, dos años después de la partida de Robi, llegó Ursula, a quien conocí gracias a la amistad entre nuestras hermanas. Otra dioscidencia. Apenas tres meses después de la partida de su hijo Gabriel, nos conocimos, y lo primero que hice al recibirla en mi casa fue darle un fuerte abrazo. Esos abrazos que salen del corazón, que a veces dicen más que mil palabras. Un abrazo con el que quería decirle que podía leer en su rostro lo que sentía, cómo se sentía, sin que tuviera que decirme una sola palabra. Después de unos instantes, empezamos a conversar y a compartir nuestra pérdida. Este fue el inicio de una fuerte unión y de una misión a la que nos comprometimos, por nuestros hijos Gabriel y Robi.

Mientras seguía su proceso de duelo, Úrsula buscó un grupo de apoyo para padres que habían perdido a sus hijos, y no encontró ninguno en el Perú. Meses después inscribió la asociación Thaniyay, palabra en quechua que significa sanar, y es entonces que decidimos juntamos para desarrollar un proyecto de amor en honor a nuestros hijos y a nosotras también.

El 15 de mayo del 2012 empezamos las reuniones-taller de duelo como "Thaniyay-grupo de ayuda mutua para padres en duelo", en las que todos los padres nos ayudamos mutuamente para sanar nuestro dolor y pérdida. Thaniyay se ha convertido en una obra de amor a la vida. Una obra que nos ha enseñado y dado mucho.

Estamos por cumplir nuestro sétimo aniversario. Hemos aprendido a ver a la muerte ya no como a un extraño, sino como a un amigo, y a sentir el amor a nuestros hijos como el mejor compañero en esta nueva vida. Han sido casi siete años en los que hemos recibido a más de 600 padres, en los que hemos llorado, compartido y reído juntos, y en los que hemos aprendido juntos a encontrar un sentido a la partida de nuestros hijos y un sentido a nuestras propias vidas, y sobre todo a honrar la vida de nuestros hijos.

Hemos conocido al dolor como nuestro mejor maestro y hemos salido de las profundidades para afirmar: SÍ SE PUEDE volver a vivir después de la partida de un hijo.

Me siento agradecida a todos los padres que han asistido a nuestros grupos y a los nuevos que asisten hoy. Ellos nos han permitido darles esperanza y consuelo a sus hogares.

A lo largo de este tiempo, he podido apreciar cómo va cambiando el rostro de cada papá, como se va transformando en su tiempo, en su proceso, dejando entrar esa luz sanadora donde refleja que ya se puede volver a sonreir.

Tengo claro que hay mucho más que podría decir, y pido disculpas al lector si no encuentra en mi testimonio la información que esperaba encontrar, pero he intentado compartir cómo viví yo la perdida de mi hijo y mi duelo. Espero que el que lea estas líneas encuentre las herramientas para enfrentar los momentos difíciles de la vida a través de mi historia. Recuerde que todos y cada uno de nosotros tenemos la oportunidad de elegir como vivir nuestra vida; nuestra actitudes la clave de todo lo que nos pasa en nuestra existencia. Tratemos de elegir solamente lo que nos hace bien.

Lo que tenga que pasar en la vida y en nuestras vidas igual va a ocurrir, independientemente de lo que hagamos por evitarlo desde lo más profundo de nuestro miedo y dolor.

Hoy puedo decir que me siento bendecida de tener un hijo en el cielo y de que Robi me haya escogido como su mamá.

Estoy agradecida por todo el tiempo que compartimos juntos y por el amor que me regalo en sus 14 años y 5 meses. Le agradezco porque sé que si bien la muerte es un misterio, he aprendido a ver y sentir a mi hijo de otra manera especial, a través de sus señales que envía cuando estoy pensando en él. Señales que se manifiestan a través de una canción, de un petirrojo, de un sueño, de una foto que de pronto aparece, escuchar su nombre en la calle, cuando vemos una pluma blanca.

Han pasado 9 años y diez meses desde su partida, y cuando miro hacia atrás, todo el camino recorrido y todas mis huellas de caídas y levantadas, me preguntó: ¿cómo lo logré?

Ahora me encuentro en la otra orilla, al otro lado del túnel y puedo decir que lo logré gracias a Dios y a Robi. Me entregué y confié plenamente en ellos. Les pedí que estén siempre cerca de mí, aunque muchas veces dudaba de mi fe. Ellos caminan conmigo y me acompañan en mi nueva vida.

Gracias Robi, sigues vivo en mi alma y mi corazón, eres mi gran maestro; como solías decir: "Yo soy el maestro Yoda de Star Wars". Ahora entiendo por qué lo decías, por tu gran sabiduría.


Tu luz brillará siempre… My sunshine boy.

84 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page