top of page

These posts are open for comments and reflections that support this community. Please keep in mind that this is a public blog, we ask that you respect the stories shared and we reserve the right to remove any comments that are found to be off-subject or disrespectful towards the authors or stories. 




By: Fanny Albano De Paoli


My mom’s story is a story of undeniable faith. She was a woman that came to know God in the last 10 years of her life. She always believed in God and she always loved God, but the last 10 years of her life she got to meet Him personally, she knew God as if she had seen Him face to face. She would make a promise for a miracle, but she wouldn’t wait for the miracle to happen because she knew God would grant it. She didn’t know when or how, but she didn’t need to wait for a sign to believe.

I went to an Emmaus retreat with my sister Adela and I remember thinking that I didn’t really need to be there. I thought so many women had a really tough life and my life was pretty good, so I felt as if I was taking someone else’s place, somebody that needed the retreat more than I did. In a Divine message (not a coincidence) I was told that I had to stop questioning and doubting, I had had a very difficult past and I just had to be thankful for my wonderful life at the moment. On Tuesday, after the retreat, my mom asked me to take her to the doctor. They sent us from the doctor’s office to the hospital because she needed to get some tests done. A few minutes later we got the news, she had a malignant tumor in her pancreas. We were not ready for this, we didn’t know what we were supposed to do. I remember feeling like a foreigner even though I had lived in this country for almost 20 years, but we were not alone because the miracles started to happen.

One day I was dropping my girls at school and my friend Maria stopped me and asked about my mom. I told her that I was worried because she had a health insurance plan that could only be used at a small hospital that I had never heard about. While we were talking Peggy came to talk to Maria and she introduced us. I kept telling both of them about my concern and they asked me the name of the hospital. Right away, Peggy smiled and told me that her husband was the head of anesthesiology of that same hospital. She was an earth angel, she immediately called her husband and I met with him that same day. I was almost in tears and I asked what he would do if his mother had to get a major surgery in this small hospital. When I told him the surgeon’s name, he told me he would definitely trust his own mother with this surgeon. I asked the surgeon the same question and he said the best anesthesiologist in Miami was Dr. Ojea, Peggy’s husband. The day of the surgery, I was sitting next to my mom and she asked me to grab her Bible, open it and read any passage to her. It opened to Psalm 118:17 “I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD.”

The surgery was a success and after 2 weeks in ICU my mom went back home.

Two years later the same lady which had become a dear friend, heard that we were going to get my mom’s annual cat scans and she told her husband to keep an eye on the results. He told her that it didn’t look very promising, her liver was filled with tumors. Peggy didn’t tell me, but she spoke to Father Joe, the priest of our church and asked him to pray for us. In the meantime, we were supposed to get a biopsy, but the first and second time they sent us back home because the doctor in charge had been called to another emergency and the needle for the biopsy had not arrived. When we came back the third time, my mom was ready to go and I saw when she held the doctor’s hands and told him, “your hands will not be doing the biopsy today, it will be the hands of God.” The doctor came back 10 minutes later and told me he wasn’t able to do the biopsy. If you knew me, you would know that I don’t get mad easily but this time I was extremely upset. I wanted to know their excuse and I was ready to tell them that every time they cancelled I had to take time off from work. He interrupted me and said: “the tumors have disappeared and we can’t take any samples.”

My mom came out and was very happy, but she told me she had prayed for it and in her heart, it meant the miracle had already happened. When I told Peggy, she started crying she said, “my husband saw the scans, I can’t wait to tell him.”

One year had passed and my mom had travelled to Peru to spend a few months with our family and friends, but she ended up in the hospital with a diabetic coma. God gave us another chance because she woke up from the coma and my sister went to pick her up and bring her back home. Now, she had a different insurance and she was sent to a well-known hospital. I sent the scans to the oncologist and begged him to please be very careful when he talked to her. He said: “Don’t worry, I deal with cancer patients every single day. I know how to talk to them.” My cousin Giuli and I took her to the doctor and when she asked him about her prognosis he said: “If I was you, I would get my papers ready.” My mom was not ready to hear this news and from that day on, she gave up. Doctors have a great responsibility in their hands, but first they should never forget their words should come from the heart.

God had given her time “to live and declare the works of the LORD”, now it was time to go back to her Father’s home. On August 16th,we had a birthday celebration dinner for her, and right after dinner she told Adela: “Please take me to my room, I’m tired.” That evening, I woke up to the sound of little steps running. I thought it was my 6-year-old daughter Adriana, but then I realized that she was sleeping next to me. Something told me not to be scared because it was little angels coming to pick her up. Listening to steps in the middle of the night when everyone in the house was sleeping would have been pretty scary any other time, but this time I wasn’t scared.

On August 20th, 2002, my mom was surrounded by so many people that loved her, her two daughters, sons-in-law, four grandchildren, sister, and best friends. Many wonderful people from our Church came to accompany her and us. The kids sang beautiful songs, we all prayed the rosary together, her family from Peru called and said their goodbyes, the angels were definitely helping her through this journey and it was beautiful. Yes, it was sad, but it was beautiful because I saw her smile when she finally saw His face.

My 9-year-old daughter Andrea explained it to me perfectly: “My grandma is now at another level. When you go from Kinder to First Grade you go to a higher level, then high school, and then college. Well, now my grandma was taken to the highest level”.




La historia de mi madre es una historia de fe, una fe innegable. Ella era una mujer que conoció a Dios en los últimos 10 años de su vida. Siempre creyó en Dios y siempre amó a Dios, pero en los últimos 10 años de su vida lo conoció personalmente, conocía a Dios como si lo hubiera visto cara a cara. Ella hacia una promesa para recibir un milagro, pero nunca esperaba a que el milagro se hiciera realidad porque sabía que Dios ya se lo había concedido. No sabía como o cuando, pero no necesitaba esperar por una señal para creer.

Fui a un retiro de Emaús con mi hermana Adela y recuerdo que pasé pensando que en verdad no necesitaba estar ahí. Pensé en tantas mujeres que habían tenido una vida realmente difícil y mi vida era bastante fácil, pensaba que le había quitado el lugar a alguien que lo necesitaba más que yo. En un mensaje Divino (no una coincidencia) me dijeron que tenía que dejar de preguntar y dudar, yo había tenido una vida bastante difícil en el pasado y ahora solo tenía que agradecer por mi vida maravillosa del momento. El martes, después del retiro, mi mami me pidió que la lleve al doctor. De la oficina del doctor nos mandaron al hospital porque se tenía que hacer otros exámenes. Después de unos minutos nos dieron la noticia, ella tenía un tumor maligno en el páncreas. No estábamos listas para esa noticia, no sabíamos que hacer. Recuerdo sentirme como extranjera, aunque había vivido en este país por más de 20 años, pero no estábamos solas porque los milagros empezaron a ocurrir.

Un día fui a dejar a mis hijas al colegio y mi amiga María me preguntó por mi mamá. Le dije que estaba preocupada porque ella tenía un plan de seguro médico que solo se podía usar en un hospital pequeño del cual nunca había escuchado. Mientras hablábamos, Peggy vino a hablar con María y ella nos presentó. Seguí contándoles mi preocupación y me preguntaron el nombre de este hospital. En ese mismo momento, Peggy sonrío y me dijo que su esposo era el jefe de anestesiología de ese mismo hospital. Ella fue como un ángel en la tierra, inmediatamente llamó a su esposo y me dio una cita ese mismo día. Yo casi me pongo a llorar y le pregunte si operaría a su propia madre en ese hospital. Cuando le dije el nombre del cirujano, me dijo que definitivamente operaría a su madre ahí. Le pregunté al cirujano lo mismo y me dijo que el Dr. Ojea, el esposo de Peggy era el mejor anestesiólogo en Miami. El día de la operación, estaba sentada al lado de mi mamá, ella tenía una Biblia y me pidió que leyera donde se abriera. La abrí en Salmos 118:17 “No moriré, sino que viviré para contar lo que hizo el Señor”.

La cirugía fue un éxito y después de 2 semanas en cuidados intensivos mi mami regresó a la casa. Dos años después, la misma mujer que se había convertido en una muy buena amiga, se enteró que íbamos a hacerle las tomografías anuales a mi mami y le pidió a su esposo que estuviera atento a los resultados. El le dijo que no habían salido nada bien, su hígado estaba lleno de tumores. Peggy no me lo dijo, pero se lo dijo al Padre Joe de nuestra iglesia y le pidió que rezara por nosotros. Al mismo tiempo, necesitábamos hacerle una biopsia, pero las dos primeras veces nos mandaron a la casa porque habían llamado al doctor a una emergencia y la aguja de la biopsia no había llegado a tiempo. Cuando regresamos la tercera vez, mi mamá le dijo al doctor: “sus manos no son las manos que van a hacer la biopsia hoy, serán las manos de Dios.” El doctor regresó 10 minutos más tarde y me dijo que no podía realizar la biopsia. Los que me conocen saben que no me molesto fácilmente, pero esta vez estaba muy molesta. Quería saber que excusa nos iban a dar y estaba lista para decirle que cada vez que nos habían citado, yo había tenido que pedir permiso en la oficina. Me interrumpió y me dijo: “los tumores se han desaparecido y no hay de donde sacar pruebas”.

Mi mami salió feliz, pero me dijo que ella había rezado y en su corazón ella sabía que el milagro ya había ocurrido. Cuando se lo dije a Peggy, ella empezó a llorar y me dijo: “mi esposo vio las tomografías, y no puedo esperar para contarle”.

Había pasado un año y mi mami había viajado a Perú a pasar unos meses con nuestra familia y amistades, pero terminó en el hospital por una coma diabética. Dios nos dio otro chance porque se despertó del coma y mi hermana la fue a recoger para traerla de vuelta. Ahora tenía otro seguro y la mandaron a un hospital bien conocido. Le mandé la copia de las tomografías al oncólogo y le rogué que tuviera cuidado al darle la noticia. Me dijo: “No te preocupes, yo veo pacientes con cáncer todos los días. Se como hablar con ellos”. Mi prima Giuli y yo la llevamos al doctor y cuando ella le preguntó sobre su situación él dijo: “Si yo fuera ud. prepararía mis papeles”. Mi mami no estaba lista para escuchar esa noticia y después de ese día, se dejó vencer. Los doctores tienen una gran responsabilidad en sus manos, pero primero que todo nunca deberían olvidar que sus palabras tendrían que salir del alma.

Dios le había dado tiempo “para vivir y contar lo que hizo el Señor”, ahora ya era momento de regresar a la casa de Su Padre. El 16 de agosto le celebramos su cumpleaños y después de comer le dijo a Adela: “Por favor llévame a mi dormitorio, ya estoy cansada”. Esa noche, me levanté al escuchar pasos como de niños corriendo. Pensé que era mi hijita Adriana de 6 años, pero me di cuenta que se había quedado dormida en mi cama. Algo me dijo que no me asustara porque eran angelitos que venían a recoger a mi mami. Escuchar pasos en la mitad de la noche cuando todos en la casa estábamos durmiendo me hubiera asustado en cualquier otro momento, pero esta vez no tuve miedo.

El 20 de agosto del 2002 mi mami estaba rodeada de mucha gente que la quería. Estábamos sus 2 hijas, sus yernos, sus 3 nietas, su nieto, su hermana y sus mejores amigas. Mucha gente maravillosa de nuestra iglesia vino a acompañarnos a nosotros y a ella. Sus nietos le cantaban canciones, rezamos el Rosario todos juntos, su familia de Perú la llamaron y se despidieron de ella, los ángeles estaban definitivamente ayudándola en este gran viaje y fue un viaje hermoso. Sí, claro que fue triste, pero hermoso porque vi su sonrisa cuando ella finalmente vio Su cara.

Mi hija Andrea de 9 años me lo explico perfectamente: “Mi abuelita ya pasó a otro nivel, cuando vas de Kínder a Primer Grado pasas a otro nivel, y de ahí a la secundaria, y de ahí a la universidad. Bueno ahora mi abuelita pasó al mejor nivel”.

37 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page